Saturday, April 23, 2011

Weapons of Mass Instruction~


To my left you will see a nice picture of the book we are going to discuss, Weapons of Mass Instruction, by John Taylor Gatto. I usually take pictures of books against the tan carpet in my home office, but the blue color of the classroom mailbox was irresistible. I love color and contrast. If I wasn't a teacher or a veterinarian or a forensic psychiatrist, I would have been a designer. I love DIY Network, HGTV, and stores like Home Goods.

The classroom mailbox is in my home office because the kids were putting all kinds of things inside it. Play food, books, office supplies, bark and wood chips, socks, leftover snacks, and... themselves. They climbed on it, lounged across it, and occasionally drew on it. Since it was made for me by a parent over a decade ago, I opted to rescue it.

This entry will serve as an introduction. We have at least six confirmed members of our reading group and most of us haven't met each other. So, because I am the ringleader, I will start with a brief introduction of myself.

I am a teacher. I have been in the classroom since 1995. It is part of my identity and describes what it is I do. Teaching is a habit of heart, something that calls to you; it is more than a paycheck or a job: it is an adventure. People who teach and don't feel that way really shouldn't be in the classroom. It takes too much passion, dedication, and energy to do well if you don't feel called to it. The profession is filled with crappy teachers and most of them remain in the classroom because we are educators, not politicians. We are not good at policing ourselves. So we 'allow' politicians, bureaucrats, and control freaks with nothing better to do run things. Haven't they done a fantastic job so far? Don't get me started. I am going off on a tangent.

I have been married 33 years to Dan the Fishing Man (he bowls, too) and live in West Palmdale. We have two outstanding sons: Danny is married to Brandy, whom he met while attending Chico State. They have the most precious baby in the world, my granddaughter, Mable Kats. Danny is a Game Warden with the Dept of Fish and Game in Ventura County. My younger son is Dustin, the boy I could take anywhere, at any time, and he would make friends. After years of working in my classrooms and swearing he would NEVER ever (in a million years) be a teacher, he earned his teaching credentials last year and is now teaching 6th Grade at SCVi. How is THAT for an excellent situation? Word on the street is that he is pretty good at it. Yeah, I am proud.

I am a reader. I love books and always have a stack on my nightstand, on the coffee table, and in my home office. I have been a voracious reader for as long as I can remember. I recall being in first grade and being in love with Ricky Beasley (who never talked) but I don't remember learning to read. I remember flopping down anywhere and everywhere with a book. I hid from the world through books.

I hope this book study will encourage us to engage in the thoughtful dialogue that sparks change. I hope it allows us to find our collective voices and add them to the educational process that is our school - the one that is seeking to be different, better, a ripple in the education pond. The more we know, the better we can be.

How do you see yourself as a reader? How do you view public education? What are your goals for this book study?

I will state up front that I do not agree wholeheartedly with everything Gatto says in this book. But reading it energized me - I could not put it down. It stayed in my head for days.

Please introduce yourself. Then... let's read!

:-)Kim

5 comments:

  1. I wrote something.... went to preview.. and was told the action could not be done, and so my post has been erased. I guess I should have posted first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria Convertini, mom of 5, 3 still in school attending SCVi. Housewife.
    I love Kims passion and personality so i am willing to follow her into reading this torturous book. I find there is much I know about what he writes, and I use him as a reference guide to build up my own knowledge base, and I hope by the end of the book I will be able to give valuable input to how we may educate as many the proper way they should be educated, within human means.
    Hit post comment, not preview. It will give you a chance to preview, and not erase your information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Sara mom to 1st grader at SCVi. I am not a great reader, I feel the need to get that off my chest from the very beginning. I would love to be a great reader, but I have never in my life really found the time to read much. Maybe three or four books a year was about it until I had kids. Now I'm lucky if I finish two in a year. That is, of course, excepting the hours spent reading to my kids. I just don't make the time to read for me.

    But this book and Miss Kim's passion about it has inspired a commitment to finish the darned thing. Right now it's going at a couple pages per night in the evening after the house is finally, finally quieted down. Sadly by then I'm so tired I nod off a couple pages in.

    My feeling about public education in the USA? hmmmm, that's a roller coaster of a thought. I grew up in the 70's and 80's on the north shore of Long island, and I was very very privileged to receive a fantastic public education. I think I always assumed that some schools were better than others, but you could get out of it what you put into it, and anyone could receive a good education from public schooling. but something changed, it was before NCLB, although that was a bit of a nail in the coffin, and I don't think that it would be fair of me to say that *anyone* could receive a good education from public school.

    I'm really looking forward to the book discussion because we all need a sounding board and a bit of cheer-leading from time to time. It takes a lot of trust in your instincts as a parent, and for Kim as an educator to let go of the "status quo" and follow what you know in your heart is right and better for your children. I feel blessed to have met an entire school full of families and teachers and administrators with the ability to trust themselves, each other and their children in this process. Over the next 12 plus year (I have a younger child who hasn't started SCVi yet) I am prepared to help remind others that they are doing great things, and I hope to turn to them on my down days to help hold me up. I don't think they named that room upstairs "the village" for nothin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Susan. I have two boys at SCVi (8th and 1st) and a daughter who is a sophomore at Saugus. My husband and I run residential programs for adults with developmental disabilities here in SCV. I also work part time at Little Shepherd's Nursery School. It's a sweet little developmental preschool in Newhall.

    Having a daughter who could read before she started kinder, then a son who struggled to read all through elementary school, my family realized quickly that "one size" does not fit all in education. We were at our wits end when we heard about "this new charter school". This is year two for us and we feel like we have found where we belong!

    I love to read. Like Kim, my nightstand is piled high with books (so is the floor surrounding the nightstand). This book has already led to lively discussion at my house- my teenagers love Gatto! And, it has given me loads to think about. I'm looking forward to bouncing around ideas and opinions with all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can already tell you one of the problems with the education system is that dictionaries have been dropped out of use and replaced with guesstimating what the words mean, and quite often we are wrong in our guesstimations, which lead to misconstructions or blatant disinterest. I have watched classrooms during reading times where children never moved to pick up a dictionary, yet... I had a compulsion to do so. I found that my compulsion were correct. I was not the 'only one' who did not understand and I was not slow, I picked up the dictionary. To this day, and especially while reading this book, I am using a dictionary.

    ReplyDelete